Property & Casualty Insurance/Garage Liability vs CGL



I am doing some research on the garage liability form vs the CGL form.  I think this is a area where you have a considerable amount of expertise. My research indicates the CGL form is actually has more coverage that the garage form. I saw in one of your past responses where you stated the garage form had to have several endorsements added in order to be comparable to the CGL.  What endorsements could you add? After adding these endorsements is the garage form equal to the CGL?

Hey Rick,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was tied up with a family issue and was unable to respond.

One thing to remember about the Garage Form.  Over the years, as the auto portion of the coverage was updated to keep pace with the changes in the BAP, the liability section, unfortunately, remained pretty much the same as the 70s and 80s unsimplified CGL form.  There are a host of coverages that are not included in the unendorsed Garage Form.  Coverages like Personal & Advertising Injury, Host Liquor, Fire Legal, and many more.  This is accomplished through the addition of the CA 2514 Broadened Coverages - Garage.  

The other thing to consider with the Garage Form is that the non-auto insuring agreement only applies to "operations necessary and incidental to the Garage Operation."  What does that mean?  An auto service/repair risk may have gasoline problem; what about snack machines and soft problem; what about a small convenience store we're moving into areas where the Garage Form falls short and it will be necessary to use a CGL to pick up the exposure.

Around 2001 or so, ISO changed the eligibility guidelines for the Garage Program and eliminated auto service, repair, storage, and a couple other auto-type businesses from eligibility.  Basically, now only dealership type operations qualify for the most current garage program.  That being said, companies do not have to adopt the most recent ISO changes and some still don't.

Using a CGL in combination with a Business Auto Policy is probably a better way to cover the risk.  You get a full blown CGL with no special restrictions automatically.  No need to add endorsements for Damage to Premises Rented, Host Liquor, Non-Owned Watercraft, etc., and you don't have any limitations as to what might be considered as operations or completed operations coverage.  Add to that a BAP with at least Symbol 9 (assuming there are no owned autos) and endorse on the Garagekeepers Legal Liability coverage and you're good to go.  

One last difference, the Host Liquor coverage that is included in the Broadened Coverage - Garage endorsement is not worded the same and therefore does not provide coverage that is as broad as that provided by the CGL.  

I hope that helps a little.  If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM


I can answer questions relating to the following coverages: personal auto; homeowners; commercial auto; commercial liability; commercial property; business income and all other property and casualty coverages.


I have been in the insurance industry in Florida since 1979. I am currently the president of a Florida domestic insurance company subsidiary. I've taught continuing education classes in Florida and across the country. I am quite familiar with all coverages including Florida Condominium master policies and unit owner policies. I also specialize in agent professional liability. I have been a professional educator since 2001.

I am a member of the Florida Associaion of Insurance Agents, the state affiliate of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America.

I currently carry the following professional designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Certified Risk Manager (CRM)

©2017 All rights reserved.