Property & Casualty Insurance/General Insurance coverage in event of a Earthquake.

Question
General Insurance Policy.
General Insurance Poli  

Earthquake
Earthquake  
Dear James

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_insurance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake‎

Can Apartment / Bungalow property owners claim their Insurance on occurrence of earthquake ?.

Do General Insurance policies provided by Public or Private limited cos cover insurance coverage for natural disaster such as Earthquake ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant,

All policies are written differently, in earthquake Zones you have to have additional coverage.
In area's where there are no earthquakes they are usually covered. It's easy to find out on your policy near the beginning of the booklet, there will be a section called covered perils it will list each and every thing your perils that are covered. All policies are different a general policy in one area of the country is different than a general policy in another, typically you need additional coverage's (rider's) to cover earthquakes in area's where earthquakes are common. This question though is slightly out of my area of expertise, as an agent may be of better help, my line of work is adjusting where coverage is not something I deal with on claims.

Good Luck,
Jim C

Property & Casualty Insurance

James R Carrier