You are here:

Property & Casualty Insurance/General Insurance coverage in event of a Earthquake.


General Insurance Policy.
General Insurance Poli  

Dear James‎

Can Apartment / Bungalow property owners claim their Insurance on occurrence of earthquake ?.

Do General Insurance policies provided by Public or Private limited cos cover insurance coverage for natural disaster such as Earthquake ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant,

All policies are written differently, in earthquake Zones you have to have additional coverage.
In area's where there are no earthquakes they are usually covered. It's easy to find out on your policy near the beginning of the booklet, there will be a section called covered perils it will list each and every thing your perils that are covered. All policies are different a general policy in one area of the country is different than a general policy in another, typically you need additional coverage's (rider's) to cover earthquakes in area's where earthquakes are common. This question though is slightly out of my area of expertise, as an agent may be of better help, my line of work is adjusting where coverage is not something I deal with on claims.

Good Luck,
Jim C

Property & Casualty Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James R Carrier


I'm an insurance adjuster. If you have had an insurance loss your in the right place. Insurance coverages is not my forte, you would want to ask one of the other experts who are insurance agents. I'm able to answer questions regarding coverage, damage valuation, basically anything to do with property & casualty. My expertise is accessing damage putting a valuation on that damage and proving damage to an insurance company adjuster on behalf of a homeowner or business owner. I'm able to answer or get the answer regarding underwriting. Please no questions on automobile coverage you know more than me in that area.


20 years as a licensed adjuster, handling 1000's of homeowners and commercial claims in Michigan, Louisiana, and Florida. I own a Public Adjusting Company, Advanced Adjusting LLC in Milford MI.

Business degree with an emphasis on accounting from Arizona State University, graduating in the Fall of 1984. I have taught and participated in continuing education courses in the field of property and casualty.

©2017 All rights reserved.