Property & Casualty Insurance/General Insurance coverage in event of a Earthquake.

Question
General Insurance Policy.
General Insurance Poli  

Earthquake
Earthquake  
Dear Richard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_insurance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake‎

Can Apartment / Bungalow property owners claim their Insurance on occurrence of earthquake ?.

Do General Insurance policies provided by Public or Private limited cos cover insurance coverage for natural disaster such as Earthquake ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant:

My apologies, I was out doing continuing education and was not able to answer before.

In the USA and Puerto Rico, you may cover and recoup losses due to earthquake, as long as your personal or commercial policy does in fact cover and provide for earthquake coverage.  This is usually an optional coverage that has to be specifically requested.  You will notice you have the same if you take a look at your policy declarations more into detail.

Most policies will state a specific percentage of the property value as the deductible or insured's retention. So for example, if you property has a value of US$100,000. and the deductible is 5%, then you will have to assume the first US$5,000. of any loss you sustain.

In order for me to answer more specifically I would need more specific details. If you wish to consider the same, please contact me privately or directly.

I hope this information proves useful and if you have any questions or additional comments, please contact me at your convenience.

Thanks very much for the opportunity to be of assistance.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

Richard L. Dunnam, CIC, AAI, AMIM, AINS