Property & Casualty Insurance/Coverage for damage by guest?

Question
My question is in regards to an insured that allowed their Goddaughter and her two young children live in their basement for approximately a year. When the Goddaughter and her children left the insured discovered damaged walls, dirty carpet, stains on furniture, damaged furniture, ect. The insured also provided two cell phones that have not been returned. My queastion is, do they have a claim they can present to their Homeowners insurance company?  Thank you!

Answer
Hi Jeff,

While it is hard to guess the exact insurance coverage your insured had, I would imagine this falls under Vandalism and/or Malicious Mischief.  If it is substantially more than the deductible, I would submit it accordingly.

The two cell phones will not be covered, as the insured ''voluntarily' parted with them,  They were not stolen, robbed, nor did they mysteriously disappear.

James Berliner

Property & Casualty Insurance

James R. Berliner, CPCU