Property & Casualty Insurance/Personal Property Off-Premise Coverage Extension

Hi Jay,
My question relates to the Personal Property Off-Premise coverage extension found in BP 0003 (7-13). The extension extends to property in transit, but does not have the same limitation that CP 1030 (6-07) does which specifically states that "Property must be in or on a motor vehicle you own, lease or operate while between points in coverage territory."

The question is would property of others in transit by a common carrier be covered? Going back to what is considered covered property, it would seem that it is not because it would no longer be in the insured's care, custody or control. However, the extension doesn't specifically exclude it, and IRMI makes reference to the BOP extension being broader than CP in that it is all risks coverage and does not exclude personal property while waterborne or airborne. IRMI doesn't discuss the limitation in the CP form requiring property be in a vehicle the insured owns.

What do you think? Would property of others be picked up under the coverage extension (subject to the $10,000 limit)while in transit via common carrier?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I apologize for my lack of response.  I had just returned from being on the road and then was back out again and it slipped right by me.

IRMI is correct that the extension in broader, however, once the insured relinquishes control of the property to the common carrier, it is no longer in the CCC of the insured.  Therefore, the extension of coverage would no longer apply.

If the insured maintained control and was transporting the property themselves, it would definitely be covered.  In order to continue to provide coverage, the insured would need to purchase a Transportation Floater that would follow the property until it reached its final destination.

I hope that helps a little.  Please let me know if you have additional questions. apologies.

Property & Casualty Insurance

Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM

I can answer questions relating to the following coverages: personal auto; homeowners; commercial auto; commercial liability; commercial property; business income and all other property and casualty coverages.

I have been in the insurance industry in Florida since 1979. I am currently the president of a Florida domestic insurance company subsidiary. I've taught continuing education classes in Florida and across the country. I am quite familiar with all coverages including Florida Condominium master policies and unit owner policies. I also specialize in agent professional liability. I have been a professional educator since 2001.

I am a member of the Florida Associaion of Insurance Agents, the state affiliate of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America.

I currently carry the following professional designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Certified Risk Manager (CRM)