Property & Casualty Insurance/Homeowners claim

Hi, I live in Houston Texas and my hot water heater started going out and leaked out into my living room carpet. My carpet was partially flooded in my living room. Can I get my homeowners insurance (Progressive) to pay for this damage? How can I get this replaced through my homeowners?

Hello Katrina,

Thank you so much for your question. The Texas Homeowner Policy varies by company thus coverages vary as well. To my knowledge, Progressive isn't the actual insurer for your home. They insure autos and broker your home to a company who covers homes. I think that company is Liberty Mutual but I'm not certain on that. The best thing to do is to call Progressive and ask them if water damage is a covered peril on your policy. If so, submit a claim.
    It is your responsibility however, to keep any further damage from occurring until the claim is processed and closed. The insurance will not replace your hot water heater so you need to have that done on your own. The damage caused by the water however, may be a covered claim. You wont know until you call Progressive and ask them about your coverages.
    In addition, I would advise you to find a company that has an agent that you can meet with in person, get to know, and review your coverages with annually. Its important, as you know, to be insured. Its equally important to know what your covered for and what your paying those premium dollars for.
    I hope this helps in giving you some direction with your claim. If you have any further questions please send them my way. I'm always happy to help if I can. Good luck Katrina and God bless!  

Property & Casualty Insurance

Dennis Smith

I am a licensed General Lines Agent in the state of Texas. I can help answer questions concerning auto, home, life, and long term care insurance. Each state has their own insurance laws, regulations, and policies. In order to help you the best way possible please only ask me questions pertaining to Texas insurance policies.

I have been an agent in Texas for over 9 years. I am a full time agent not a part time sales person with a license. Helping families protect their assets and save money in the process is what I strive to do every day.

NAIFA. National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Business and one day plan on teaching insurance to other professionals as well.

I have won numerous company awards such as outstanding sales achievement awards, Best of the Best awards, and a Million Dollar Ring contest.

I have over 500 customers and manage over 1,500 policies.