Property & Casualty Insurance/Claim?


Hello Jay,

I bought a condo new several years ago and ever since I've owned it, I've had sewer line backup problems. I always clear it out and then it comes back a year or so later. So recently I had another backup and this time they ran a camera down the line. They found where the line was pushed in, broken, and this is where the back up has been occurring.  Do you think this would be covered under the master policy?  Thank you


Thanks for your question.  Coverage is determined by the circumstances surrounding the cause of the line being pushed in and broken.  If it is determined that it was damaged by a vehicle running over it or something similar to that, then the association's master policy should respond.  If the cost of repairs is below the policy deductible then the association would be responsible for paying for the repairs out of general funds.

If this is something related to wear and tear or age, then the condo documents would determine who is responsible for the maintenance of the line.

I hope that helps.  If you have any additional questions please let me know.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM


I can answer questions relating to the following coverages: personal auto; homeowners; commercial auto; commercial liability; commercial property; business income and all other property and casualty coverages.


I have been in the insurance industry in Florida since 1979. I am currently the president of a Florida domestic insurance company subsidiary. I've taught continuing education classes in Florida and across the country. I am quite familiar with all coverages including Florida Condominium master policies and unit owner policies. I also specialize in agent professional liability. I have been a professional educator since 2001.

I am a member of the Florida Associaion of Insurance Agents, the state affiliate of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America.

I currently carry the following professional designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Certified Risk Manager (CRM)

©2017 All rights reserved.