Property & Casualty Insurance/Depreciating Labor

I own a one room schoolhouse in northern Michigan that was hit by a car, we are currently negotiating with the insurance company to determine final payment, my building must be replaced, can the insurance company depreciate the labor to rebuild my schoolhouse?

The cost of labor cannot be depreciated. Labor itself cannot be depreciated but in an insurance estimate labor is a part of the cost but typically not separated out for specific costs. For instance the price to repair a roof is given by all the tasks and costs of materials that go into replacing your roof but labor itself is not depreciated but the cost of the entire roof is depreciated. You would have to contact me privately at to get more specific or a more detailed answer to your question.
It would require talking on the phone eventually due to the fact that there is to much back in forth that need to be answered for you to get the answers your seeking.

Good Luck,
Jim C

Property & Casualty Insurance

James R Carrier

I'm an insurance adjuster. If you have had an insurance loss your in the right place. Insurance coverages is not my forte, you would want to ask one of the other experts who are insurance agents. I'm able to answer questions regarding coverage, damage valuation, basically anything to do with property & casualty. My expertise is accessing damage putting a valuation on that damage and proving damage to an insurance company adjuster on behalf of a homeowner or business owner. I'm able to answer or get the answer regarding underwriting. Please no questions on automobile coverage you know more than me in that area.

20 years as a licensed adjuster, handling 1000's of homeowners and commercial claims in Michigan, Louisiana, and Florida. I own a Public Adjusting Company, Advanced Adjusting LLC in Milford MI.

Business degree with an emphasis on accounting from Arizona State University, graduating in the Fall of 1984. I have taught and participated in continuing education courses in the field of property and casualty.