Property & Casualty Insurance/Sworn statement of loss

Our neighbor's home fire caused our home to catch fire. We have substantial damage. When the appraiser came she told my husband we would receive an itemized list of her findings. We have not received any itemized list or total dollar amount estimate from her. We received A sworn statement of loss with instructions on filling out the loss sheets and stating they have to be accompanied by receipts and proof of vendors bids/estimates of damage.  Is this standard? Are we required to get apprasials,bids etc. without seeing anything the adjuster has estimated?

Hello Ashlee,

I am very sorry you for the challenges you are facing.  It is hard enough to suffer a fire, when the insurance company complicates the claim process it makes things even more traumatizing.

Unfortunately the way the adjuster handled the situation is "standard", simply incorrect and incomplete.  This answers your question, however I am sure it causes more questions like "What is correct".  I can't explain the entire process in this email.

I can volunteer a half an hour of my time to explain the process to you.  It usually does not take longer than that. I can't put my phone number on here as this is a public forum.  So please email me a question and mark it "private" so I can email you my contact information including my phone number.

If my email comes through on this response, you may email me directly with your contact information and I will be glad to contact you.  My email is firsthand247 and I have MSN for my email service.

Kind Regards,

Property & Casualty Insurance

Deanna Terry

Please mark PRIVATE on your question in case I need to email you my personal contact information or a referral! I am a Public Adjuster who specializes in personal property/content claims. I can answer all questions related to personal property coverage and assist with questions about inventory lists and the valuation or pricing of the list. I assist homeowners, other Public Adjusters, and Attorney's for the insured with the proper preparation, development and valuation of their inventory. I can offer consultations and tools to assist the homeowner with learning how to prepare their own inventory list as well as review of inventories prior to submission. Please, I can not help with auto or dwelling questions.

Since 2004 I have been a licensed public adjuster advocating for the policyholder. I chose this path due to my own experience in losing my home to a fire. I specialize in total losses and complete preparation of inventory lists for submission to my client's insurance carrier. I can only adjust in the states I am licensed, North and South Carolina. However, I can assist with inventory and valuation preparation in ALL states.

President of 1st Hand fire victims assistance program President Claim Everything Personal Property consultants (

Associates Degree Specialty Courses in Insurance Adjusting State Civil testing Yearly Continuing education

United Way Award for Community Service to Fire Victims