Property & Casualty Insurance/Purchased Vehicle thar has certificate of destruction

Question
I purchased a vehicle that a clear Texas blue title and when I went to registered it the state of Texas sent me a
letter that the vehicle had a certificate of destruction from the state of Florida and will not title the vehicle.

I understand my only option is somehow get the state of Florida (or entity that requested that this car received
this designation). I would like to know my options and any due process that can be afforded to me in this case.

The vehicle is not junk and has been inspected and driven for four or five years. The car is somewhat of a collectors item and it's value will increase over time. I became too attached to the vehicle to simply crush or
dismantle it.

Please let me know.

Sincerely,
A native Texan

Answer
Charles,

You will probably want to retain an attorney and pursue a Deceptive Trade Practices Act violation against the person who sold you the vehicle. It sounds like the vehicle was totaled in Florida - probably as a result of flooding since that is often hard to see without getting inside the hidden areas of the vehicle.

You won't have to destroy the vehicle or get rid of it. There is a Texas title that you can get that reflects the "cloud" on the title due to the Florida declaration. The key is that you can't hide this information ... which the seller of the vehicle to you clearly did.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, CPIU, HCRI-R/C, WIND Umpire/Appraiser
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
713-416-8044

Property & Casualty Insurance

Kevin Hromas - JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, WIND Umpire