Property & Casualty Insurance/Homeowners insurance for heir after policy owner death

Mom recently died and gift deeded home to me. I have lived with her many years. Can I retain her homeowners policy in her name and be assured company would pay any future claims? In Savannah, GA, and company Liberty Mutual Group which is no longer writing new policies for coastal area homes. Current policy expires 4-4-2016.  And can I renew next year in her name?  Thanks so much.

I apologize for the delay in responding.  I was on vacation and then your question slipped though the cracks.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  

As long as the estate is in probate, the coverage can remain in her name.  If you are the executor of the estate, the policy would also cover you.  Once the estate is settled and no longer in probate, you will need to have the policy changed.  Some companies will transfer the policy, but most will probably want to rewrite it since they want to underwrite the person as well as the property.  While LM may no longer write new policies, since it's a transfer, they may be willing to stay on it for you.  

When the deed changes the named insured will need to change.  You want to make sure that you are properly protected by the policy so that the property and liability coverage will follow you wherever you go.  

I'm very familiar with Savannah.  I have relatives that live there and have since the 50s.  There are many companies that will write coverage as long as the home is more than 5 miles from the coast.  Unless the house is on Tybee, you should be able to find coverage from a good company if LM does not want to rewrite.

If you need help finding a good agency, let me know.  I know a couple there.

I hope that helps a little.  Let me know if you have additional questions.  

Property & Casualty Insurance

Jay K. Williams, AAI, AIP, CIC, CRM

I can answer questions relating to the following coverages: personal auto; homeowners; commercial auto; commercial liability; commercial property; business income and all other property and casualty coverages.

I have been in the insurance industry in Florida since 1979. I am currently the president of a Florida domestic insurance company subsidiary. I've taught continuing education classes in Florida and across the country. I am quite familiar with all coverages including Florida Condominium master policies and unit owner policies. I also specialize in agent professional liability. I have been a professional educator since 2001.

I am a member of the Florida Associaion of Insurance Agents, the state affiliate of the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America.

I currently carry the following professional designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI) Associate in Insurance Production (AIP) Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) Certified Risk Manager (CRM)