Property & Casualty Insurance/QUESTION PROPERTY INSURANCE

Question
Kevin Hi, I need your help,  my home is sorounded by many large trees, are homes normally covered if a tree  falls on them.  Do I need a special additional coverage other then Hurricane damage and how much would you recomend.  Thank ylou Ken

Answer
Ken,

Virtually every homeowner policy covers damage to the home (or other covered property like fences, outbuildings, etc.) from falling trees. The cost to remove the tree from the covered property is included but that generally means just the cost to get it off the house itself, not the cost to remove the stump or parts that are not on the house. All of the damage caused when it fell is the majority of the loss and that is covered subject to your deductible.

If you have a tree fall on your house, you want to move quickly to have it taken off and the damages covered over with tarps until the insurance company can inspect. Take lots of photos while it is in place and all through the process. Be leery of "drive-by tree removal experts" that tell you they can get it off the house and tarp it. Sometimes they cause more damage and over-charge for their services. Use a reputable local company and get a quote up front as well as a signed receipt. Also a good idea to get a copy of their liability insurance policy dec page. I have handled claims where a company was taking down trees and had them fall on someone elses house! That falls under their policy and not yours, even if they were taking down your trees.

The trees themselves are generally NOT covered except for specified "perils". You can find that explained under a section entitled "Trees, Shrubs and Lawns". Usually they are capped at $250 per tree for loss due to those perils. You might be able to endorse them for a higher amount but it is rare to see that.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, CPIU, HCRI-R/C, WIND® Umpire/Appraiser
Kevin Hromas & Associates
… A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Property & Casualty Insurance

Kevin Hromas - JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, WIND Umpire