Property & Casualty Insurance/Water damage liability

Hi, i have renters insurans for the place that we rent. We recntly bought a washer and the drain leaked or overflowd damaging 3 units below us. I made a claim for liability but my adjuster says that we are not liable since our landlords failed to show us the condo by laws which stated that we are not allowd to have washers. The adjuster said that we did nothing wrong. Plus the landlords dont have their own insurance. I want to be covered for liability thru my insurance, what should i do?

Your required to notify your insurer of any possible pending litigation involving your property that your Renters insurance covered. Renters insurance does cover Washing Machines which seems to be the cause of the litigation by informing them you've done all you need to do, it's really on your landlord or possibly your insurance company either way you have done what your supposed to do, if you receive anything in regards to this situation in the mail or any other way contact your insurance company to keep them abreast of any actions moving forward. You personally have no issue as far as I can see. Keep in mind though I'm an adjuster, this is not my area of expertise. I'm an expert in dealing with 1st party claims and never deal with the liability part of an insurance policy. The liability section is for attorneys, underwriters but not casualty adjusters.
Good Luck,

Jim C  

Property & Casualty Insurance

James R Carrier

I'm an insurance adjuster. If you have had an insurance loss your in the right place. Insurance coverages is not my forte, you would want to ask one of the other experts who are insurance agents. I'm able to answer questions regarding coverage, damage valuation, basically anything to do with property & casualty. My expertise is accessing damage putting a valuation on that damage and proving damage to an insurance company adjuster on behalf of a homeowner or business owner. I'm able to answer or get the answer regarding underwriting. Please no questions on automobile coverage you know more than me in that area.

20 years as a licensed adjuster, handling 1000's of homeowners and commercial claims in Michigan, Louisiana, and Florida. I own a Public Adjusting Company, Advanced Adjusting LLC in Milford MI.

Business degree with an emphasis on accounting from Arizona State University, graduating in the Fall of 1984. I have taught and participated in continuing education courses in the field of property and casualty.