Property & Casualty Insurance/additional liability insurance

Hello, James!

My homeowner's policy
covers: $500,000 personal liability
       $500 for damage to the property of others
       $1,000 medical payments to others ($1000 for each person)

I have now received a notice that for an additional $190, the policy would protect my assets in the event of a claim relating to an auto or home accident for which I can be sued, and would pay up to $1,000,000 in the event of a jury verdict/insurance settlement, in addition to any legal fees incurred for my defense.

What do you think? Do I need this extra coverage?

Hi Chris,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  I was vacationing out of the country, and forgot to put on my away message in All-Experts!

Sounds like you are referring to a policy known as an 'Umbrella' policy.   My opinion, is if you can afford the $190/Year, you should DEFINITELY get the extra $1,000,000 of coverage.   Think of what lawsuits go for from auto accident injuries.  Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars.   The $190/year would be money well spent.  I personally have one of these policies, and for more than just $1,000,000.

Happy to answer any additional questions you may have on this.

James R. Berliner, CPCU  

Property & Casualty Insurance

James R. Berliner, CPCU

My specialty is personal and busines insurance, relating to the property and casualty field. Homeowners, Auto, Business Auto, Workers Compensation, Business Interruption, Crime, Directors & Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Professional Liability, General Liability, Umbrella Liability, etc.

I am the owner of my own agency (established 1970), have obtained my CPCU designation, and am licensed in many states.

IIABA (Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America), CPCU Society, PIACT (Professional Insurance Agents of Connecticut - Board of Directors)