Real Property Appraisals/FHA Loan Appraisal

Hi John,

I applied for a FHA loan with a lender who ordered an appraisal but they have denied the loan. I submitted my application with another lender and I would like them to use the appraisal that was done with the previous lender. I was told that only one FHA appraisal can be used every 120 days. The new lender is stating they want to do a new appraisal. Am I correct in stating they have to use the appraisal that was already done?

Thank you.

Ronak Vyas,

The first question, I have is: Why did they deny the loan - you didn't state why?

I assume that the 2nd lender is also an FHA Lender. If this is the case, then, yes, an appraisal for FHA stays with a loan application for that time period.

Assuming that the appraisal provided a value that was too "low", have you obtained a copy of the appraisal and reviewed it? You are allowed to receive a copy by law. You need to get a copy and review the market data the appraiser used. It's possible that the appraiser used properties as comparables that shouldn't have been used.

If that is the case, you can submit a request to the FHA Underwriter, not your Mortgage Broker or Bank Underwriter, to assign another appraiser. You will have to provide evidence, such as the listings of the inappropriate comparables, to substantiate your complaint that a bad appraisal was completed.

I hope that you resolve this problem to your satisfaction.

John C.Carlson
John C. Carlson Real Estate Appraisals
Victorville and Diamond Bar, CA

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson

Any questions regarding commercial and/or residential appraising, appraisals or real estate valuation such as: appraising as a profession, valuation techniques, comparable sales selection & analysis, the new HVCC and how it affects appraisers & Borrowers. Also, questions like: "Why did my appraisal come in low & what can I do about it?" I cannot answer questions about comparable data in areas in which I do not practice. I have expertise in most areas of So. California.

31-years both commercial and residential valuation experience. State of CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser, licensed to appraise all property types. FHA Approved. Specialized expertise with historic, architectural & luxury residential property valuation. Experienced in industrial building and small commercial property valuation. Experienced Reviewer of appraisal reports and expertise with intensive forensic reviews to uncover fraudulent appraisal reports. Expert Litigation and Expert Witness experience.

Associate Member of the Appraisal Institute. Associate Member of the Certified Fraud Examiners.

Numerous posts to Blogs. Please "Google" "John C. Carlson Real Estate Appraisals" where a list of responses I have made will show up.

Numerous classes by the Appraisal Institute since 1978 in the practice areas in which I specialize

First Republic Bank Wells Fargo Bank California Bank & Trust Preferred Bank Numerous Attorneys.