Real Property Appraisals/FHA Loan Appraisal

Question
Hi John,

I applied for a FHA loan with a lender who ordered an appraisal but they have denied the loan. I submitted my application with another lender and I would like them to use the appraisal that was done with the previous lender. I was told that only one FHA appraisal can be used every 120 days. The new lender is stating they want to do a new appraisal. Am I correct in stating they have to use the appraisal that was already done?

Thank you.

Answer

Ronak Vyas,

The first question, I have is: Why did they deny the loan - you didn't state why?

I assume that the 2nd lender is also an FHA Lender. If this is the case, then, yes, an appraisal for FHA stays with a loan application for that time period.

Assuming that the appraisal provided a value that was too "low", have you obtained a copy of the appraisal and reviewed it? You are allowed to receive a copy by law. You need to get a copy and review the market data the appraiser used. It's possible that the appraiser used properties as comparables that shouldn't have been used.

If that is the case, you can submit a request to the FHA Underwriter, not your Mortgage Broker or Bank Underwriter, to assign another appraiser. You will have to provide evidence, such as the listings of the inappropriate comparables, to substantiate your complaint that a bad appraisal was completed.

I hope that you resolve this problem to your satisfaction.

John C.Carlson
John C. Carlson Real Estate Appraisals
Victorville and Diamond Bar, CA
www.jccrea.com

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson