Real Property Appraisals/Low Appraisal +$15k

Question
Hi John,  I'm under contract and am a first time home buyer.  I am learning a very dear lesson.  The home I purchased is in Kirkland, WA, a relatively hot market.  I feel I have been taken a huge advantage of by my agent.  I am a newly single mom.  I found a house, wrote up a contract.  My agent said I would not get the house unless there were no contingencies (and I mean none, except hoa minutes-which that window of time passed). And I had to go $25k escalation.  Then she had me sign a low appraisal with $15k over appraisal.  She said the seller would mot accept my offer otherwise.  she also told me to write a $25k earnest money (this house listed at $350k, I am under contract for $375k.)  If the house appraisal comes in low, I have to bring in $15k more.  Now, my mortgage broker says that $15k does not go to down payment nor purchase price nor to lower my loan amount. It gets eaten by the bank as a penalty. Is that true?  Do you have any advise for me? I have nothing to back out or renegotiate on.  Thank you.

Answer
Carri,

I've been in court for the past 2 days and have just gotten back in my office.

I don't know what you mean by: "...Then she had me sign a low appraisal with $15k over appraisal".

Regardless, these financing items are beyond the expertise of an appraiser. We do not deal with these issues.In addition, many of these issues are legal in nature and I am not an attorney.

Because this is your hard earned cash, I recommend that you IMMEDIATELY locate a real estate attorney who can protect and defend your property and loan rights. The attorney will know if what this Agent did is legal and ethical and will help you get your money back if you are being ripped off.

I wish you the best of luck and a Happy Holidays

John C.Carlson
Victorville and Diamond Bar
www.jccrea.com

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson