Real Property Appraisals/Factors InBecoming An Appraiser

Hello John,

Sometime in the future I'd like to sell jewelry and watches online that I would purchase at estate sales, auctions, flea markets, liquidations, etc. and become an appraiser to enhance my business identity. Might I be better off sticking with appraising items like only jewelry and watches? Becoming an appraiser in all items offered at estate sales, auctions, flea markets, and liquidations would seem either almost impossible or have much too large a learning curve involved. I'm even wondering if I should just concentrate on appraising jewelry or watches, but not both.
Is my thinking on the right track?

Thank you for any guidance.

I'm not going to be able to help you with this. I am a real estate appraiser, not a jewelry/watch appraiser.

The type of appraiser you want to contact belongs to the American Society of Appraisers. (ASA) ASA appraisers specialize in all kinds of personal property valuations: art, machinery, business valuations, jewelry, furniture, etc.

If you Google "American Society of Appraisers", you can log onto their site and go to the state in which you live and find a local Chapter. There are usually categories in which you can find appraisers specializing in jewelry and other personal property valuation niches.

You can now find an appraiser with this valuation specialty. Also try to attend a meeting nearby so you can network with ASA appraisers. Who knows, perhaps you can find someone who would be willing to mentor you so you can become an expert.

I think you should at least check out the other valuation specialties that are available. If you find that you want to become a jewelry valuation expert, the ASA is the place to get the information you need.

John C. Carlson
CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
Victorville and Diamond Bar, CA

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson

Any questions regarding commercial and/or residential appraising, appraisals or real estate valuation such as: appraising as a profession, valuation techniques, comparable sales selection & analysis, the new HVCC and how it affects appraisers & Borrowers. Also, questions like: "Why did my appraisal come in low & what can I do about it?" I cannot answer questions about comparable data in areas in which I do not practice. I have expertise in most areas of So. California.

31-years both commercial and residential valuation experience. State of CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser, licensed to appraise all property types. FHA Approved. Specialized expertise with historic, architectural & luxury residential property valuation. Experienced in industrial building and small commercial property valuation. Experienced Reviewer of appraisal reports and expertise with intensive forensic reviews to uncover fraudulent appraisal reports. Expert Litigation and Expert Witness experience.

Associate Member of the Appraisal Institute. Associate Member of the Certified Fraud Examiners.

Numerous posts to Blogs. Please "Google" "John C. Carlson Real Estate Appraisals" where a list of responses I have made will show up.

Numerous classes by the Appraisal Institute since 1978 in the practice areas in which I specialize

First Republic Bank Wells Fargo Bank California Bank & Trust Preferred Bank Numerous Attorneys.