Real Property Appraisals/client present at appraisal

Question
We made a recent cash offer on a home and I called a couple of appraisers as I wanted to get an appraisal just to verify our offering price in that we have two weeks for inspections to be done where we could back out if we wanted.  I asked to be present for part of the appraisal and the answer was no.  Hey, I realize that appraisers might get pushed to "meet appraisal" by clients but that is not my concern.  Instead I wanted to ask questions such as how have home prices been trending in the area?-- is the area upcoming or have prices been stagnant?  what have you been seeing as far as DOM?   there were two 2014 past sales in the development one at 15% lower in price per square foot that the house we made an offer on and the other about 20%more which is the outlier? ( the lower price one being on a corner lot so how much that affects pricing on similar homes)
I was upfront that I was not looking for the by the books bank appraisal but rather a range (the home you made an offer on is worth between x and y dollars)plus since I am paying them I figure I should be allowed to be present and ask questions but I got excuses such it would be distracting if I was present or they couldn't be objective.   Obviously, I am going to keep looking but is this standard  to not have the client present?  
thanks

Answer
Rod,

NO!!!.....this is NOT standard, as a matter of fact, in my opinion, this is unethical and unprofessional and downright rude on this appraisers part. I welcome any Agent and Client to be present. The only thing I ask is to let me get the inspection done, then we can talk. There are countless things I am looking for, and looking at during an inspection, & I need to pay attention to what I am doing. I usually have a bunch of questions myself that I need to have answered.

Your questions are most reasonable AND show that you are a very knowledgeable buyer who is interested in making sure they are making a reasonable purchase.

I hope that you didn't retain this nimrods and found another appraiser who is not so rude. On behalf of professional appraisers like myself, I apologize for your treatment by this appraiser.

John C. Carlson
CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
Victorville & Diamond Bar, CA
www.jccrea.com

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson