Real Property Appraisals/Query

Question
Can you recommend any books, sites etc. that can teach the layman how to do appraisals on commercial property, land, businesses etc.
Also, are there any software packages you can recommend that can teach universal appraisal techniques.

Answer
Sam,

The best site to obtain books for the topics you mention is the Appraisal Institute Site. You want to Google: "appraisal institute,books"

You'll find many books about how to appraise apartments, industrial buildings, and all property types. These books are pricey however. I try to buy at least one every three months or so.

A cheaper alternative is to Google such things as "Valuing apartment buildings,PDF", or "Appraising apartment buildings,PDF". Substitute industrial buildings, office buildings, etc. for other property types. This will give you PDF articles about these topics.

You might also try Amazon & look for books there. These would be cheaper than the Appraisal Institute. Finally, book stores like Barnes & Noble would probably have a selection of books like this

With regard to the software you asked about, I would sign up for courses that you can take to get hands-on knowledge. Again, you can Google the Appraisal Institute for a list of their courses - they also have on-line Webinars that you can take. McKissock is another course provided, along with the American Society of Appraisers (ASA)

If you are intending to become an appraiser, you need to contact the Agency in your state that oversees the licensing of appraisers to get a list of the course work that you will have to take. For this you do need a specific list of course work that you have taken and passed before you can become a Trainee Appraiser.

Good luck to you

John C. Carlson
CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
www.jccrea.com

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson