Real Property Appraisals/Right of way by gas drilling

Question
The drilling company wants a right of way on my property. The size of which is 50 feet by 1176 feet and want to pay for the footage . How do I calculate that footage so that I know it's the right amount that they are offering me

Answer
Jake,

If you are asking how to calculate the square footage of the easement across your property, the math is: 50 x 1176 - 58,800 Sq. Ft.

If you are asking if the price they are paying is OK, the answer is: It depends.

Real Estate is location specific, even if I were in your area, I would have to locate comparables of similar properties in order to compare to what the drilling company is offering.

To get to this answer, you will have to locate an hire an experienced appraiser to provide you with a report that answers this question.

I think of more importance is that you need to protect your property rights. For this you are going to have to hire an attorney. There are many questions I have due to you saying that a "drilling company" wants this right-of-way. Examples:

1. Is this going to be a perpetual right-of-way, or just a temporary one?
2. How does the location of the easement affect your property, now and in the future?
3. What is going to be drilled? What is the environmental impact on your property?
4. How close is the drilling going to be to your house? If its a drilling rig, are you going to have to look at it?
5. This right-of way will have to be recorded on your property by a Title Company and a Title Company Engineer. Again, getting back to Question-2, what is the current and future affect of this easement on the use of your property.

I would think that the drilling company has to have an Environmental Impact Report for the drilling work they will do - have you been given a copy of the Report? You need to review the report to see what it says.

For all of the above reasons, you need to hire an attorney to help you protect your property rights.

Good luck to you

John C. Carlson
CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
Victorville and Diamond Bar, CA
www.jccrea.com  

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson