You are here:

Real Property Appraisals/Right of way by gas drilling


The drilling company wants a right of way on my property. The size of which is 50 feet by 1176 feet and want to pay for the footage . How do I calculate that footage so that I know it's the right amount that they are offering me


If you are asking how to calculate the square footage of the easement across your property, the math is: 50 x 1176 - 58,800 Sq. Ft.

If you are asking if the price they are paying is OK, the answer is: It depends.

Real Estate is location specific, even if I were in your area, I would have to locate comparables of similar properties in order to compare to what the drilling company is offering.

To get to this answer, you will have to locate an hire an experienced appraiser to provide you with a report that answers this question.

I think of more importance is that you need to protect your property rights. For this you are going to have to hire an attorney. There are many questions I have due to you saying that a "drilling company" wants this right-of-way. Examples:

1. Is this going to be a perpetual right-of-way, or just a temporary one?
2. How does the location of the easement affect your property, now and in the future?
3. What is going to be drilled? What is the environmental impact on your property?
4. How close is the drilling going to be to your house? If its a drilling rig, are you going to have to look at it?
5. This right-of way will have to be recorded on your property by a Title Company and a Title Company Engineer. Again, getting back to Question-2, what is the current and future affect of this easement on the use of your property.

I would think that the drilling company has to have an Environmental Impact Report for the drilling work they will do - have you been given a copy of the Report? You need to review the report to see what it says.

For all of the above reasons, you need to hire an attorney to help you protect your property rights.

Good luck to you

John C. Carlson
CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser
Victorville and Diamond Bar, CA  

Real Property Appraisals

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John C. Carlson


Any questions regarding commercial and/or residential appraising, appraisals or real estate valuation such as: appraising as a profession, valuation techniques, comparable sales selection & analysis, the new HVCC and how it affects appraisers & Borrowers. Also, questions like: "Why did my appraisal come in low & what can I do about it?" I cannot answer questions about comparable data in areas in which I do not practice. I have expertise in most areas of So. California.


31-years both commercial and residential valuation experience. State of CA Certified General Real Estate Appraiser, licensed to appraise all property types. FHA Approved. Specialized expertise with historic, architectural & luxury residential property valuation. Experienced in industrial building and small commercial property valuation. Experienced Reviewer of appraisal reports and expertise with intensive forensic reviews to uncover fraudulent appraisal reports. Expert Litigation and Expert Witness experience.

Associate Member of the Appraisal Institute. Associate Member of the Certified Fraud Examiners.

Numerous posts to Blogs. Please "Google" "John C. Carlson Real Estate Appraisals" where a list of responses I have made will show up.

Numerous classes by the Appraisal Institute since 1978 in the practice areas in which I specialize

Past/Present Clients
First Republic Bank Wells Fargo Bank California Bank & Trust Preferred Bank Numerous Attorneys.

©2017 All rights reserved.