Real Property Appraisals/Sales or Financing Concessions

Question
Hello -

My appraiser did not adjust the comparable homes to reflect their sales or financing concessions. In one case, the concession amount for a comparable home is $10,000. When I look at the appraisal report for a prior home I bought, the appraiser adjusted all comparable homes for sales and financing concessions (when concessions occurred). Why did one appraiser adjust all comparables while the other didn't adjust any at all? What criteria does the appraisal profession use to determine when to adjust for concessions and when not to?  

Thank you for addressing,
Ted

Answer
Ted,

Without knowing the specifics about this concession, I can only provide some probable answers. First, did your appraiser even know that there were concessions on some or all of the comparables? Its possible that the appraiser just quickly prepared this report without fully verifying the comparables.

Second, what was this concession? The appraiser should have first disclosed that there was this concession and then explained why he/she did not adjust for it. Not all concessions require adjustments, just the ones that affect the value.

When I find a concession, the first thing I ask the agent is: "Could you have sold this home for the same price if the concession was not made?" If the answer is "No", then an adjustment has to be made.

However, concessions are not just adjusted on a dollar-for-dollar basis. FNMA directs that the appraiser must analyze the concession and determine the adjustment which represents the impact upon the value that the concession made.

It doesn't matter if the appraiser determines that concessions did not impact the value, an appraiser must disclose all concessions and then explain why no adjustments were made, or discuss what adjustments were made and how they were calculated.

I hope that this helps. If I fully answered your question, please give me a good score for my profile.

John C. Carlson
Victorville and Diamond Bar, CA
www.jccrea.com  

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson