Real Property Appraisals/Refinance appraisal & bedbugs

Question
I am in the middle of the refinancing process for my apartment. The day before the appraiser called to set up the inspection appointment, I learned that my building, and my apt., had a bedbug problem. It's being exterminated, needless to say, but I won't get the all-clear for a couple of weeks, and everything I own is in bags and may need to stay that way for awhile. Clearly it can't be good for the value of my apt. if the appraiser shows up in the middle of all this, and I'm also afraid to tell my lender. What is the best and most discreet way to postpone the appraisal until this is resolved?

Answer
Ruth,

I hope that you get this cleared up quickly. I imagine that fumigating your clothes & other things will be time-consuming and expensive.

I can think of several things you can claim:

1) You have just been informed that a relative is ill and you need to go out of town for a week. (or two...three)
2) You are looking at other financing alternatives and want to delay the appraisal until you choose the right lender. (This will probably make your existing lender go crazy, but perhaps you can negotiate better terms?)
3) Just tell them that you're not ready for the appraiser to come out & you'll call them when you are ready.

I wish you the best of luck in eliminating the bed bug problem

John C. Carlson
Victorville & Diamond Bar, CA
www.jccrea.com

Real Property Appraisals

John C. Carlson