Prosthodontics/Bad bite after crown

I originally had an old crown that started causing me jaw pain especially after eating or chewing gum.  Went to the dentist and he said the crown had fractured and I needed a new one.  Still had pain with the temporary.  Now I've had the permanent one for a few days.  The tooth feels "strong" but it was really high and he had to adjust my bite. Funny thing, he filed opposing teeth (using the dye paper) before filing the new crown.  When he did I finally said that' she spot, but the damage has been done to teeth that weren't even worked on.  Now the jaw pain is still there and covering a bigger area.  Will this go away on it's own?  Will my mouth, jaw, and muscles adjust?   I'm worried he caused me permanent damage and I'm scared to go back.  Suggestions on the next step please.  Thank you.

It's a common practice to do minor adjustment on new crowns and/or opposing teeth to make sure that the bite is accurate. You situation is a little different because you've had pain even before the new crown was placed.
Ideally you need to know what's causing this pain. Is it nerve issue or bite issue. There are tests that the dentist is able to do to find out. If it's nerve problem then a root canal treatment is indicated, if not then you look into the bite and again there are tests to confirm that.
I'd definitely recommend that you go back to the dentist and have him take a look to see what's causing this pain.

Good luck.
Dr. Elsafi

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP

I am a board-certified Maxillofacial Prosthodontist. I do head and neck prosthetic reconstruction for patients with congenital and acquired defects. This also includes trauma and cancer patients. I can answer questions about prosthetic rehabilitation of the head and neck area. I am also a board-certified prosthodontist and can answer questions about dental reconstruction including crowns, bridges, veneers, partial and complete dentures and implant restorations. I can also answer questions about TMJ problems. I can not answer about surgical reconstruction.

I am a board-certified prosthodontist and maxillofacial prosthodontist and have been practicing denitstry for over 15 years.

American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics. American College of Prosthodontists. American Dental Association.

I received my dental degree from University of Southern California. I did my prosthodontics residency at University of Florida and my maxillofacial prosthetics fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Chief Fellow at MD Anderson Cancer Center.