Prosthodontics/Crown on Dental Implants

Question
Hello -
I had dental implants put in for teeth 14 and 15 by an oral surgeon in July 2013. In Dec 2013, the prosthodontist had me fitted for crown for both 14 and 15. He put a splint between the two crowns, making it one. These are screw-in type. A few hours later some of the porcelain cracked off and he removed the splinted crowns and resent them to the lab.

My questions though are these:
1 - When the crowns were put on, they felt tight as if the screws were pushing the implants closer together than they should be. Is that possible that the screws are forcing the implants closer together? I don't want the implants to feel due to improper fitting of the screws. OR if the screws went in, the fit is good and I am worrying for nothing.

2 - Also the next day, after the splinted crowns were removed, I had short shooting pains going up what seemed like the implant locations. Could this just be from the trauma of fitting the screw implants over and over again in a 24-hour period? Or can the implants be failing from just fitting the crowns, removing them, and the screwing motion?

Answer
1- These screw-retained crowns are designed in a way that if there is any issue with fit the screws would not go in.

2- The pain is most probably from the tissue or gum around the implants from fitting and removing the crowns. If the implants are failing you will have constant pain, bleeding and discomfort in that area.

Hope this answers  your questions.

Dr. Elsafi

Prosthodontics

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP