Prosthodontics/replacement for missing teeth

Question
Hello,

For years I was terrified of going to the dentist which resulted in major problems for my teeth.

I finally started going some years ago and opted for 2 4 unit permanent bridges in the upper left and upper right.

Last night the bridge on the upper right came out, I have had it for 6 years.

I went to my dentist and they determined that decay on the posterior abutment broke the seal and the cement weakened.

They keep pushing for implants on that side but it would be very costly as I would need a bone graft, sinus lift and 2 crowns for the abutments.  

I would prefer another bridge since it costs a lot less.  I am 54 years old and really don't want to spend $12,000 or more on 4 teeth.

Is there anyway to treat the decay and reuse the bridge?

Are implants a wiser choice?

thank you

Answer
Depending on the extend of the decay and if it was all the way to the nerve, the tooth could be treated with root canal treatment and a post to rebuild the lost tooth structure before a new bridge could be done.
If the posterior tooth is unrestorable then obviously a new bridge is not an option.
Generally speaking, implants are good options since that would allow you to floss between your teeth, but, if you are going to have crowns on the abutment teeth anyway and the two abutment teeth are restorable then a bridge should be a viable option. This ofcourse with the understanding that the new bridge have a shorter life expectancy than the first one specially if one or both abutments have root canal treatment(s).

I hope this answers your question.

Dr. Elsafi

Prosthodontics

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP