Prosthodontics/Implants vs. Partial denture

Doctor,   I'm scheduled for two extractions, teeth 19 and 30. Also a bone graft at the time of extraction. I've been thinking about it and I might change my mind and opt for a partial denture. I don't want two separate bridges because that will permanently alter the integrity of two perfectly good teeth, and doesn't make sense to me. Others can do what they want. What is the downside to partials? Will good teeth loosen over time and possibly shift, resulting in further tooth loss. I don't like the idea of bone being bored out and metal screwed into the jaw bone. What about the possibility of nerve damage? What about the possibility of other complications? I have the money, so that's not the problem. I'm just worried about dental implants going wrong. So that's why I might opt for a partial denture instead. What is your opinion? Thank you very much.      Mark

Mark. Partial denture to replace one missing tooth on each side is usually a lot of hardware for that purpose. I'm sure you know that there will be a metal bar running along the inside of your lower teeth to connect the right and left side. There are no long term complications with partials, if they are designed properly.
Dental implants have been used for over thirty years no and surgeons and periodontists are very good with placing them. The complications are almost nil.
I'd recommend implants and have them placed by either periodontist or maxillofacial surgeon and then your dentist can place crowns on them. Otherwise, partials are good option too, if you can tolerate the hardware.

Hope this helps.
Dr Elsafi

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP

I am a board-certified Maxillofacial Prosthodontist. I do head and neck prosthetic reconstruction for patients with congenital and acquired defects. This also includes trauma and cancer patients. I can answer questions about prosthetic rehabilitation of the head and neck area. I am also a board-certified prosthodontist and can answer questions about dental reconstruction including crowns, bridges, veneers, partial and complete dentures and implant restorations. I can also answer questions about TMJ problems. I can not answer about surgical reconstruction.

I am a board-certified prosthodontist and maxillofacial prosthodontist and have been practicing denitstry for over 15 years.

American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics. American College of Prosthodontists. American Dental Association.

I received my dental degree from University of Southern California. I did my prosthodontics residency at University of Florida and my maxillofacial prosthetics fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Chief Fellow at MD Anderson Cancer Center.