Prosthodontics/Restoration v. Implant

tooth # 7 crown broken off
tooth # 7 crown broken  
My tooth nr. 7 had a crown for about 10 years. 3 days ago, the crown broke off. From the pulp, only a very small piece is left in the gum. The dentist I saw 2 days ago said that the tooth was not restorable, as it broke off at the gum-line, and the root was too short for a crown lengthening and a new crown. She proposed an extraction and an implant. I attached the x-ray.

Is this the best treatment proposal ?

I think the tooth could be saved if you are willing to do root canal treatment and then pull the tooth down orthodontically to give the restoring dentist a couple of millimeters of additional tooth structure to place the new crown on.
Otherwise, an implant could be an option too.

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP

I am a board-certified Maxillofacial Prosthodontist. I do head and neck prosthetic reconstruction for patients with congenital and acquired defects. This also includes trauma and cancer patients. I can answer questions about prosthetic rehabilitation of the head and neck area. I am also a board-certified prosthodontist and can answer questions about dental reconstruction including crowns, bridges, veneers, partial and complete dentures and implant restorations. I can also answer questions about TMJ problems. I can not answer about surgical reconstruction.

I am a board-certified prosthodontist and maxillofacial prosthodontist and have been practicing denitstry for over 15 years.

American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics. American College of Prosthodontists. American Dental Association.

I received my dental degree from University of Southern California. I did my prosthodontics residency at University of Florida and my maxillofacial prosthetics fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Chief Fellow at MD Anderson Cancer Center.