Prosthodontics/Back molar too short for crown to grip

Question
My lower L. 2nd molar at the back (#37) was badly damaged, had root canal treatment and filling and was then fitted with a crown in 2009. In 2012 this crown started to come off very often. My dentist said that my molar (height ~1 mm above gum line) was very short. Each time this crown came off it was recemented, but the last time on 24/12/2014 it was swallowed while eating. There is no LL tooth #38, and LL 1st molar (#36) had root canal treatment and was fitted with a crown in 2007 and has had no problem. The LL second bicuspid is perfect and does not even have a filling.

Doctor, what are my options ? ( I wish my back molar could grow 1 mm upward so that the crown won't come off but that's impossible !)

Answer
Hi Dorothy,
There is a procedure called "crown lengthening" in which the dentist or periodontist would remove about 1-2mm of gum around the tooth to gain more height on the tooth and that way a new crown could be more retentive.
You can ask your dentist if that procedure could be done on that tooth.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr. Elsafi

Prosthodontics

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP