Protestantism/the dead

Question
Lucan:

Can you give me some scriptures regarding the bible stating that once the dead die; they do not any longer have any consiouse connection to this world?  Meaning, they don't know what is going on down here.  I stayed in a house a short while back where I believe the girl was seeking mediams, the dead and maybe into witch craft.  Since that time, I have not felt right.

Thank you.

Answer
Hello Leah,

Certainly, here are a few for your consideration:

"For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion. For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any [thing] that is done under the sun." (Ecclesiastes 9:4-6)

"For the grave cannot praise thee, death can [not] celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth." (Isaiah 38:18)

"[As] the cloud is consumed and vanisheth away: so he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no [more]. He shall return no more to his house, neither shall his place know him any more." (Job 7:9, 10)

"For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?" (Psalms 6:5)

"The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down into silence." (Psalms 115:17)

"Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help. His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish." (Psalms 146:3, 4)

"Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day." (Acts 2:29)

"Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of Lords; Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen." (1 Timothy 6:15, 16)

"Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation." (John 5:28, 29)</ul></code>

There are more, but I think this should serve as a reasonable list. If you would like some further reading on the subject, there are two transcripts / articles available on this topic I recommend.

The first is called "Ashes to Ashes," and is available here: http://csda-adventistchurch.to/Binary/essays/estofded.html

The second is called "World of the Dead," and is available here: http://csda-adventistchurch.to/Binary/essays/estofded2.html

I would recommend the second one first, primarily because it deals with some verses I have not delved into in this answer; for example, places in the Scripture where some have argued the dead do live, such as the parable of the rich man and Lazarus and the encounter with Saul and the witch at Endor "conjuring up Samuel."

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

- Lucan Chartier
http://www.csda-adventistchurch.to/index2.html

Protestantism

Lucan Chartier