Protestantism/Differences

Question
Hi, I always enjoyed watching bible movies and learning about it, even if it's hard to remember everything I've learned. There's a lot of information, just like with any other subject. Is it weird that in the past, and even now I don't necessarily say I'm any specific religion, but consider myself a man of God? I guess I just like the phrasing of it better.

2nd, is there a difference between Christianity and Protestants? They both believe in God. But, in general, is there some kind of difference? I thought Protestants protest, in other words that might not agree with God on everything. Now, everyone is their own person, so even if they are Protestant, don't mean they protest, if that's the difference that is.

If there is no difference, the. Why is there 2 different words for he same religion?

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Aaron. Sorry for the slight delay. I missed your question yesterday, as I do check questions, but just missed it somehow. Thanks for the interesting questions. As to the 1st,I enjoy watching Bible movies too. Yes, one can always learn something from them. Just be careful as some are not quite factual as they should, but for the most part, I think they're good. Lately though, some "Hollywood" movies like NOAH and EXODUS have scenes in there that are not factual, like the Rock People and trying to explain Moses' (God's) miracles as natural causes (not supernatural). But, as I said, I think they're OK for the most part. Any bible-type movie is always better than most of the junk that's in most modern day movies (esp. the sex and language and violence).
As to the question, you state you say you're not a specific religion. I assume you mean denomination, as I'm assuming you're of the Christian religion. Saying you're a man of God is good. I don't see anything wrong with it. You've hit on something that I believe basically. Jesus started ONE church. There were no denominations with Him. We really should be that way now. It's just that if one attends any type of church at all, there are some that we like more than others. Whatever that church is, then one would associate that with the closest denomination. That's why I consider myself a protestant, as that is the kind of churches I like the most ( I personally can relate to Pentecostal- related and Baptist churches the most). Really though, we all should be "men of God".
Now, as to your 2nd question: Protestants are Christians. Without looking it up specifically (feel free to look up Martin Luther, who started the protestant movement around 1300 I believe), as I want to answer you quickly,Protestants basically got their name because they protested the Catholics in much of their beliefs. So, many denominations sprang up from that, like Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists, etc. The Catholic church was the dominant Christian denomination years ago, and it still is big. So basically, you have Catholics and Protestants now in the world in Christianity. So, if you're a strong Christian and generally don't like the Catholic religion, then you're probably a Protestant.
I won't go into more here about what Protestants didn't like about the Catholics, as I've probably written enough as it is, as I don't want to confuse you. You can easily find out about anything on the internet now though. I hope I've answered your questions Aaron. Please feel free to ask me anytime about Christianity. It is my passion, and I hope it's yours too, as I know you're a MAN OF GOD!

Protestantism

Barney McNeill