Protestantism/Leviticus 20:16 Animals and Hell

Question
According to the following Bible verse, it seems like animals can be guilty of doing something wrong and can go to hell.

Leviticus 20:16: If a woman presents herself to a male animal to have intercourse with it, she and the animal must both be put to death. You must kill both, for they are guilty of a capital offense. (New Living Translation)

And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (King James Version)

What are your thoughts? The NLT version specifically says that "they are guilty of a capital offense." That means the animal is guilty as well, implying that animals are somehow aware of moral laws.

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Jay,

Thanks for this great question.

“And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.” (Leviticus 20:16, AV)

It is important to know that the Bible does not speak anywhere about animals having a soul that lives beyond the grave.  When the Law speaks of killing, they are speaking of stoning... not of condemning either the person or the beast to hell... it is  speaking of capital punishment.  That being said, it is important to know that we are not under law, but under grace, and capital punishment for sexual offences is no longer required.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Protestantism

Pastor Don Carpenter