Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Anxiety and Diarrhea

Georg wrote at 2015-07-26 07:11:15
Let me first tell you that I had this same "problem" many, many years ago, so I am not talking "hypothetically" but know exactly how you feel. Let me also tell you that this anxiety of having to go to the BR (along with other anxieties) vanished for me without drugs or anything "just like that", in time.

The "funny" thing about anxiety and social anxiety in particular is that it's all "irrational". It's even more funny because we know this! No, we won't get a heart-attack waiting in line at the store, and no, we won't likely p**p our pants at the movies. Nevertheless, of course it is this *anxiety* which is affecting our lives. Because the anxiety, the fear etc. are teal, they're no fantasy.

Worse, now realize this: It might be the case you might spend decades of your life worried about your anxiety (read again: Not about the actual event you think could happen, but it's the anxiety itself which has taken over your life!) - and at some point you realize all your worries had been "wasted" since what you were worried about never manifested. You worried 30 years of your life, excuse my language, about ***ing into your pants...but of course it never happened. Isn't this, sort-of ironic?

As I told you above, my anxiety, which included being almost unable to ride public transportation, going to the store, riding to the movies in the car with friends etc....vanished.

What I think did it was the realization that all other people out there are not perfect either. Social anxiety always centers about the idea something embarrassing or bad happens and us being judged by all those "normal" others. Wrong.

Once you realize that pretty much everyone out there has his/her problems, issues...that you are not the only "non perfect one" in a perfect world - it helps to take your own worries not that serious any longer.

In your case, this "exercise" might help: Imagine the WORST you can imagine happens, you p**p your pants in front of others. So what? Since there is no bathroom around, it's not your "fault". If you have to go and there is no way to go..well..duh...that's what's happening. Who would blame you...and for what? You poop in your pants. Whatever. The world will continue to turn. Really.

Know that episode of "Sex in the City" where the girl actually poops in her pants on vacation? Watch it! :) You will see how this allegedly horrible event (although of course embarrassing, no doubt!) turns out to be the most hilarious "vacation memory" for them...rest assured they will watch the photos or videos until they're old and gray...and they have a blast just remembering it since it's no doubt..one of the most HILARIOUS things you can even imagine :)

And this is what you need to do! Relax and see the humor in it.  Imagine in your mind your worst fear come true...and realize that the result will not be the end of the world. And once you realize that...your anxiety and worries about this "hypothetical event" will vanish...because you will see it's really entirely irrelevant. Realize that your enemy is NOT the potential fact that you could make in your pants in a "not so convenient" situation....but the anxiety which dominates your life.

And you can learn to see it with different eyes so that this fear, this anxiety loses its power because it becomes pointless.

(Say, little joke here..imagine a crazy situation where you make in your pants at work. What should happen? Do you think your boss would fire you because you had diarrhea? I don't think so :) You could sue your work for millions of damages if they were to fire you because of a medical condition. Do you think you would lose friends because you had diarrhea and no BR around? Do you think the sky would come crashing down, your husband divorce you, your entire city come to a halt and headlines on CNN and MSNBC because you had diarrhea? It's *really* and ultimately entirely trivial. And this is the point to realize this. And it can be done!  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.