Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Patient-Doctor relationship

Question
Hi,I was wondering if it's better to mention to my doctor that I have feelings for him or should I keep this to myself? This is not good for me as it causes me much pain and hurt as I know nothing could ever happen with him. He has never been inappropriate. I have been seeing him for 5 years. I'm alone with this secret.If I tell him I risk losing him and he is the best doctor for my condition. What should I do?  

Thank you.

Answer
Kate

You are right that discussing these feelings about your, doctor-patient relationship, is both the correct thing to do and also something that might alter or seriously disrupt the great professional relationship with your doctor.

You have been thinking clearly and thoughtfully so far about this.  You need to ask yourself if these feelings are in any way impairing you ability to be helped by this important person in your life.  If they are not, then try to incorporate them into the professional relationship.

There are many kinds of love and some of them need not disturb a relationship that does not permit physical or romantic intimacy.

If you find that you cannot continue to benefit because of these feelings then is the time to bring them up in therapy.

Best,

Dr. Elmore  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.