Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Psychotic Depression and PCOS

Question
QUESTION: I was diagnosed with PCOS at 13. I'm now 28. For the majority of the time it was untreated. When I was 23 I developed depression with psychotic features (delusions). I have read there is a link between PCOS and depression, and my question is this: Even if I treat the PCOS, will the depression always come back?

ANSWER: Hormonal changes effect mood.  It is possible to treat both PCOS and depression at the same time, but, yes, one treatment may effect the other, so you just need to have both doctors talking to each other to be sure they coordinate care.

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your response. I'll do my best to encourage my ob/gyn and psychiatrist to coordinate treatment. But perhaps I could've clarified my question. It is said that if one has PCOS they are at risk for depression. If I successfully treat my PCOS, am I right in saying I'm not at risk for depression? And if my PCOS isn't successfully treated, am I at risk for depression once, or would it be recurrent?
If you could respond I would really appreciate it, but I understand if you have other questions to attend to.

Answer
If I successfully treat my PCOS, am I right in saying I'm not at risk for depression? No

And if my PCOS isn't successfully treated, am I at risk for depression once, or would it be recurrent?

These two problems are separate problems, but the treatment medications can interact. One can be corrected without the other.  Both can be corrected, but the treatments have to be coordinated, so the doctors need to consult with one another.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.