Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Forced termination

ArmchairShrink wrote at 2013-01-08 03:59:13
While I agree that this therapist was correct in the assessment that she could no longer help you, I disagree that what she did was ethical. Termination should not be that abrupt and she should have followed up to make certain that you were being cared for by another therapist. To do less than that borders on abandonment. The proper course should have addressed your transference issues by making you understand that CBT therapy would not be the right kind of therapy to deal with this issue. This therapist should have also made more of an effort to deal with your romantic feelings for her as this is a common issue that comes up in therapy and therapists are supposed to be trained in how to deal with this so that you can move forward with another therapist.

The therapist could also have done better in making you understand that your termination was about the lack of progress and her own problems at not being able to help you.

Do not lose hope. You got the wrong therapist and the wrong therapy. It happens. In the future, be upfront with the therapist about this transference issue and seek a dynamic therapist that is able to do more than CBT. There are a lot of types of therapy out there. Ypu might even consider group therapy as it would be much more difficult for you to fall in love with an entire group. Group therapy may also allow you to deal with more interpersonal issues than CBT would address. Good Luck.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.