Psychiatry & Psychology--General/On taking clonazepam for life

KD wrote at 2012-12-25 06:55:47
With respect and deference to Dr. Harrop (whose answers are absolutely right), it perhaps should be noted that while the benzodiazepines (the family of medicines including Klonopin) can and are used for life, tolerance develops rapidly to their ability to reduce anxiety.  In fact, only the opioids and perhaps schedule 1 serotonergic agents affecting 5HT-2a (for example, psilocybin and LSD) develop tolerance more rapidly.  After using Klonopin for a year, the dose required to reduce your stress may be 3mg.  In 20 years, it may be 8mg.  In other words, the longer they are used continuously, the more and more tablets will be required to impact anxiety by the same amount, and the longer it will take to wean you off, if you ever decide to stop using them.  In 40 years, your monthly prescription may be 600 tablets.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

About Me:  A 5th-year graduate student in psychopharmacology.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.

Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.