Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Medications For BPD

Question
My son, who is 28, is finishing up a DBT IOP at Yale/New Haven. When he began this IOP, his anxiety was so intense his psychiatrist admitted him to the psych unit to get a grip on his medications. He was already on 105mg of methadone. He's also a recovering heroin addict. His psychiatrist prescribed Thorazine for the anxiety and Effexor for depression. The thorazine takes the edge off his anxiety but he's always tired. In social situations, he gets incredibly anxious even with the thorazine. This is a young man who used to be outgoing and it seemed.....everybody's friend. He now mostly stays in his room and watches TV and goes to his IOP. He's told his doctor that the thorazine makes him tired and is really not getting the anxiety under control but he just ups the dosage. Obviously I'm no doctor and I'm not trying to second guess my son's psychiatrist, but wouldn't you think that thorazine might not be the way to go? He's always had ADHD too but is not being treated for that for whatever reason. Would Provigil and/or Lamotrigine be an option perhaps? I understand that giving me a definitive answer is impossible without a thorough evaluation. I'm just curious about your thoughts?

Answer
James,

I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your son's, bipolar disorder medication.  As a psychologist I have thirty years experience dealing with Bipolar patients, many of whom also present with other psychiatric diagnoses, but I do not prescribe medication.

Medicating Bipolar patients, as I am sure you are aware, is a terrific challenge because of the need for both sedation for mania and elevation of mood for depression.

I think the wise choice is to get a referral from a trusted doctor to a second psychiatrist who is not associated with the doctor who is presently treating your son and get an objective assessment of the value of his present medication regime and what alternatives might be for your son.

Best,

Dr. Andrew Elmore  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.