Psychiatry & Psychology--General/memantine

I was curious if you have any experience prescribing Memantine. I'm currently trying the drug for OCD.

I began at 5mg, then went up to 10mg and then 15mg, but started to suffer increased anxiety, which did not subside after two weeks.

I am extremely sensitive to medication in general, so my psychiatrist suggested I try just 5mg a day. I reduced it one week ago, but am still feeling more anxious and am having difficulty sleeping.

Do you know if increased anxiety is a side-effect of Memantine that passes with time? I have tried a lot to treat my OCD, so was really hoping Memantine might help. My psychiatrist has never used Memantine before so unfortunately can't offer any advice.

Thank you for your time

Dear David
Unfortunately even I don't have much experience with memantine. I have used it in dementia but only occasionally & none of my patients on this drug have reported anxiety as a side effect. But have you been tried on other drugs for OCD in sufficient doses??
Behavior therapy??
Dr. Kalra

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Dr. Gurvinder Kalra, MD

I can answer questions related to Psychiatric illnesses, their management, relationship issues etc.

I have completed my Masters in Psychiatry. Currently I am working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at L.T.M.Medical College & L.T.M.General Hospital, Mumbai, India.

1. Kalra G, Bhugra D. Mutual learning and research messages: India, UK and Europe. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S56-63. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69211] 2. Kalra G, Gupta S, Bhugra D. Sexual Variations in India: A view from the west. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S264-8. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69244]

MD Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychiatry, M.B.B.S

1. A.V. SHAH BEST RESEARCH PAPER AWARD, at the 38th Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatry Society- West Zone Branch, Nagpur, India, 13th Oct 2007. 2. BOMBAY PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY SILVER JUBILEE NATIONAL AWARD, at the 60th Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Kolkata on 4th January, 2008. 3. 2nd prize in the free paper session for presenting the paper “Sexual Attitudes & Behaviours in Individuals above 50” at the 24th National Conference of Sexology held in Jaipur in September, 2008. 4. BHAGWAT NATIONAL AWARD, for Co author of “Study of Emotional Intelligence in Medical Postgraduates”. The Study was presented in the 61st Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Agra on 6th January, 2009. 5. 1st prize in the Dr.S.M.Lulla Post Graduate Quiz held in July 2006 at Department of Psychiatry, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India. 6. Won the Post Graduate Debate on “Involuntary Treatment in Psychiatric Patients is Unjust”, 2nd March 2008, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India.