Psychiatry & Psychology--General/mental disorder

Question
hello Dr. my question is about my brother's wife.they had married about three months ago.after some times of marriage she started very strange behavior.she stated quarrel with us and her parents.she said that she hates her parents.she hates her parental home.she want to live alone.she called us and said that my brother slapped her.her father slapped her.she said that my brother abuses her and talks very harshly.she said that she want to leave my brother  she can't live her any more.
when she said this we thought it can't be true.because we know our brother very well.he is a nice guy.he never can do such a thing.when we asked our brother about this he said that nothing was happened like those things.she thinks in her own mind and thinks that they had actually happened.
she had created such situation many times since her marriage.some times she gets full of anger.some times she behaves normally and talks to us very cutely.that time she behaves like a normal and wise person.when she becomes normal that time she feels guilty for her behavior and says sorry to us.some times she dose not remember what she said to us during her abnormal situation.
her parents took her to a doctor.they said it is depression.
i want to know what is actual problem with her.i don't think these are symptoms of depression.she was a heart patient.a heart operation had done for her treatment.perhaps there was hole in her heart.

Answer
Rohini

Thank you for your thoughtful and heartfelt letter about your brother's, marital problems.  While it is not possible to professionally diagnose a person in this limited forum, I agree with you that the symptoms you have described do not fit the profile of a depressed person and that something else is going on here.

Two things I would suggest are that your brother and his wife seek couples therapy so that they can discuss in an open and objective forum what are the problems in the relationship...even if everything your sister in law says about your brother is not true, his willingness to do this shows that he cares enough about her to give her a chance to speak to what she may see as the real problems in their marriage.

The other thing is that your sister in law receive a thorough psychiatric evaluation from a specialist to find a clearer diagnosis for her and proper treatment, if necessary.

By doing both of these things your family will be saying to her that you care more about her and her life with your brother than just "blaming" her for all of her complaints, which is important to do, even if it is true that she is mostly responsible for them.

Best,

Dr. Andrew Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.