Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Possible Schizophrenia or other mental illness?

Question
I am 18 years old, and for a while now I've always felt like something wasn't right. I have extreme paranoia and unusual distrust. For instance, I have had my girlfriend for around 2 years now, and we have a 4 month old daughter and everything is great with us. I have no reason to distrust her, yet I have unrational fears and distrusts of her cheating on me, and recently my daughter has cried whenever I hold her. I know it's completely normal but I still come to the conclusion that they must be brainwashing my daughter when I'm not around (we don't live together) and I come to odd conclusions like that were it feels like people are out to get me. I've been looking into possible mental illnesses and came across schizophrenia symptoms which I've never considered because I don't hallucinate or hear voices. But most of the symptoms fit me like a glove, including: Social isolation and withdrawal,
Irrational, bizarre or odd beliefs,
Increased paranoia or questioning others' motivations,
Becoming more emotionless,
Hostility or suspiciousness,
Increasing reliance on drugs or alcohol,
Lack of motivation,
Insomnia or oversleeping, and
Deterioration in their personal appearance and hygiene.
I've been a heavy marijuana smoker for the past 5 years (quitting now) and I know that using has been directly linked to schizophrenia. I don't know if it matters, but I'm just putting it out there that I've always felt I was special in a sense that harm couldn't come my way, as if something is watching over me protecting me. Ive also been very depressed at times and have had serious suicidal thoughts. Any suggestions of possible things wrong with me? I will be seeing a doctor but I'm worried he will just tell me it's normal due to stress.

Answer
Jacob

The symptoms you so well of a, possible psychosis,  describe are unlikely to be simply attributable to stress.

They may not be severe enough to warrant a diagnosis of schizophrenia, but they are serious and need professional evaluation.  The type of doctor you should see is a psychiatrist or psychologist, who are specialists in making such a determination.

Having the forethought and insight to worry about your symptoms and the need to seek help is a very good sign and may mitigate against a diagnosis of schizophrenia but other types of mental problems that are less severe can still cause symptoms of psychosis as you describe.

Please continue to seek help until you find the answer and a trustworthy person to help you get through it.

Best,

Dr. Elmore  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.