Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Psychological abuse

Question
I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome by my sister-in-law. She also gave me an IQ test. She also said my father had OCD, My 2nd cousin had Aspergers and that my cousin was passive aggressive. My sister-in-Law always spoke of me in the 3rd person even when I was in her company. I became increasingly distressed by my interactions with my sister-in-law and eventually became ill. My sister-in-law is a Clinical Psychologist. I have told my story to
people in the mental health profession who feel I've been the victim of abuse. I've been hearing words like depersonalisation and cognitive dissonance when I've had feedback about my story. Do you have any thoughts or ideas about this. I am now mentally ill as a result of what has happened to me but I am getting treatment.

Answer
Hugh

What you have described your sister-in-law doing is manifestly unprofessional and I am sure extremely vexing.

Psychologizing openly about family members as a way of "showing off" knowledge that you imagine to be superior to others is not only unprofessional it is small minded and reveals more potential pathology of the person engaging in such behavior than anything else.

I do not know what you mean by mentally ill, but such behavior, whether it truly rises to the level of abuse or not, cannot cause mental illness.  If you are truly in need of professional therapy I am glad to hear that you are receiving it now, but I do not believe that you can attribute serious emotional disturbance to the annoying and inappropriate behavior you have described.

Dr. Elmore  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.