Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Sick of a guy making fun of me

Question
In my occupation I always have to stand a cousin of mine who sometimes seems to like to make fun out of me in public. Everything's cool when my and the guy are on our own, but when people is present he starts mocking on me. The problem is that this really annoys me he makes comments like: shut the ... up when Im talking or seeks the way to diminish me with jokes when somebody told to be careful cuz i was walking near a highway he said: oh let him, they would make him a favor. The other day he was telling me to shut up and I told him in front of ppl that I was sick of his jokes and insulted him. I heard he also was making fun about my way of talking one day I wasn't there.
Some days ago some other guy was mocking on him. He didn't realize, but when they told him, he said like a coward 'oh it wasn't that important'. Now I don't know whats with this guy in social situations, I dunno, maybe I got a confidence problem or something, but I don't like to be laughed about. I'm goin't to warn him once again, but if he keeps with his attitude, I'm ready to challenge him to a fight.
I would appreciate if you got a more peaceful solution. It's a cousin and everythings cool between us when nobody else is there, but I'm not letting this crap stand. If the guy doens't change his ways I'm facing him. Many Thanks.

Answer
Guido,

Since this is  person who is, mocking, you is someone with whom you are not forced to socialize-- like someone at work--the peaceful and more effective solution to this situation is that you should simply stop spending time with him.

He will then either find someone else to humiliate or get upset enough to ask you why you are avoiding him, at which time you will be in a position of greater strength to tell him that you cannot abide his nasty treatment of you.

Best,

Dr. Elmore  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.