Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Situational Depression


Hello, I wont go into  alot of details of the "situation" unless you need more situation is not going away and it most likely never will..and I do not believe, I will EVER adjust to it......So how does one  get over a stressful/loss , if it is a continuing loss?       My sons wife excludes me from her life , which in turn makes my relationship with my son strained  and then it trickles down to not really knowing  my grandchildren. The relationship is practically null and it tears me up inside, this "situation" started 4 years ago. Everyday they are on my mind and the hurt I feel over the "loss" and it is a loss to me, and a very big, major loss in my eyes/heart....This situation , I am so sad, so very sad, it feels similar to a death, as it is a death of the family dynamics, I am in therapy, 3 years now and I still can not accept, adjust....Honestly , with all sincerity, my heart breaks and aches , I have in a sense LOST my son....A death is final and one works through the grief, this is not final so my grief is a constant....Like I early said, I am in therapy and on meds, but because this depression is situational , my depression doesn't seem to lift very often.Yes I can function and somedays I forget, but more days then not, My mind thinks it, my heart feels it and then my chest tightens, and I sob , sometimes for hours , as one possibly does in a "real " death....I can not adjust, I truly can not accept this, believe me I have tried, to accept it, it hurts too much, I miss my son...So through all this there even a true bite hate bullet and accept it?  I know its happening, I know it is how it is, but it doesn't stop my heart from grieving, so every day I grieve the loss......At times I feel like I am going to be consumed with this.....and have a breakdown..Typing  this obviously has made my son pop in my head and I can feel the ache in my heart......The answer?   To go slap some sense into my daughter in law.....just kidding..I guess I did go into detail....

In your case I would seek a consultation with another therapist.  You tell me that you have improved little over three years.  Therefore, I would ask your therapist for a referral for a consultation, someone to see several times, to see if you should be in a different type of therapy.  

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.


Dr. Daniel S. Harrop received his B.A. and his M.D., both from Brown, and his M.B.A. from the Edinburgh Business School, Scotland. Board-certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry, he is a past president of the R.I. Psychiatric Society and a member of the Committee on Medical Quality of the American Psychiatric Association and the Committee on Continuing Medical Education of the R.I Medical Society. He serves as a consultant to four of the top five major medical management companies, including OptumHealth/United Healthcare, Magellan Behavioral Health Services, ValueOptions and APS Healthcare, and maintains a private practice in Providence, R.I. He also serves as chief psychiatric consultant on the Medical Advisory Board at the R.I. Workers Compensation Court. He was formerly on the faculty at the medical schools at both Brown University and Harvard University.

©2017 All rights reserved.