Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Does this mean I cant take AD's? Or just normal for SSRI?

Question
QUESTION: So I took my Lexapro that the psychologist gave me and low and behold I ended up in the hospital with a 159 BPM heart rate and 165/88 blood pressure. It felt like a panic attack that wouldn't stop, it happened nearly 14 hours after taking the lexapro. It lasted 4 hours, finally after taking half a .25 xanax it subsided and blood pressure and heart rate returned to normal.

I do suffer from hypertension and tachycardia at 23, so I dont want anything that's going to worsen that. Worst part of it is I actually felt pretty good most of the day, but then I was struck with the tachy.

Does this sound like
1. An allergic reaction
2. Seratonin Syndrome
3. To be expected when starting an SSRI

Thank you

ANSWER: This was clearly a panic attack, as evidenced by responding well to Xanax.  Thee were no allergic signs (rash).  You can get Serotonin syndrome only after extensive use of the medications. This is not expected with SSRI's, and wasn't related to the SSRI.

QUESTION: Thank you so much Dr, im going to give the lexa another try. Is it safe to assume that for the first week or so the Lexapro might worsen the anxiety initially? My Dr also gave me Xanax 0.5 to take 2x daily however I took the Lexapro alone and never took the xanax up until this recent episode. Thank you again DR

10/10

Answer
Is it safe to assume that for the first week or so the Lexapro might worsen the anxiety initially? It might, yes.

My Dr also gave me Xanax 0.5 to take 2x daily...

If the doctor told you to take it two times daily, you should take it two times daily....

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Daniel S. Harrop, M.D.