Psychiatry & Psychology--General/I just need some advice

Alright, I really just need some advice.

Some background information-
I work as a mid-manager in the fast food industry. It is a fairly stressful job, but i usually handle the day to day with ease and certainty.

My life is hectic, and there is usually something that breaks once a month and its usually expensive. I also usually don't have the money to fix it immediately so i get stressed out about it.

Now as a whole I usually have days that are great and other days are just terrible. However, a common pattern that i have noticed over the years is that when I wake up I feel bleak about life in general. It doesn't matter if its going to be the best day of my life, I always wake up gloomy.

The biggest problem i face is a tendency to over think. In fact its really starting to destroy my life. I'm not sure if stress is the cause, or if i have a disorder of some kind at this point.

What happens is i will become anxious about something, and then i will obsess about the possibilities and what could happen, becoming more anxious until I force myself to look at it objectively and realize that there is no reason to feel such a way. Only then it just happens again with the next thing i worry about.

I reflect on what i spent all day worrying about and it often seems ridiculous. I manage to be decisive and rational with far larger issues at work on a daily basis in a matter of seconds and i can't even get my mind out of a continuous loop about something trivial.

I feel like this is ruining my life, like i'm having a panic attack, when it happens i can't focus on anything else. and it happens more and more frequently lately.

Over the years i have tried everything that normal common sense would dictate. I've talked with friends, got my feelings out, I exercise regularly, I ate an extremely healthy diet for two months to see if that could be the issue and to no avail.

Again, I don't know what i'm expecting from this. I guess I just need some advice from someone who might have some experience with issues such as this. I mean could it be a self discipline issue with how i let my negative thoughts go astray?

Happily, you are not describing symptoms of serious emotional disturbance.

All good hard working people are somewhat perfectionistic, which when moderated brings out the best in us, because it means we are always striving to improve and do better.

The problem is when we invest so much of ourselves in whatever we do that certain things can get "stuck" in our heads as you so well describe.

You need a way of breaking out of the circular orbit, like taking a walk around the house or the block or the parking lot or taking a drive.  Getting outside and looking outwardly at people or landscapes distracts us by taking ourselves outside of ourselves, which is the  key concept in dealing with this problem.

You are not really letting negative thoughts go astray it is just holding all of the things that matter to you a little too close and for sensitive people it is always a struggle to let go, just as  it is a struggle for insensitive people to get worked up about anything at all.

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about: Stress. Headaches. Stress-related Disorders. Anxiety/Panic Disorder. Depression. Psychopathology. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Personal Problem Solving. Life in General. Relationships: Love, Friendship, Business Partner, Coworker, Family,Child/Parent. What makes us tick. The use of psycho-pharmacological agents in combination with psychological treatment. How to deal with evil people in your life. How to improve your outlook under duress. How to control stress. How to control mood. How to control headaches. I cannot answer: Questions about Eating Disorders. Questions about computers.

30 years in private practice as a psychologist in Manhattan. Dealing with people from almost every conceivable ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and as many character types as exist in this country. Dealing with patients from 8 years old to 90 years old. Pioneer in biofeedback and the treatment of stress-related disorders. Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine since 1982. Treatment of stress-related, anxiety and depressive disorders with biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy. Developed personal problem solving, an extremely precise form of psychotherapy. Relationship therapy for couples, families, parent/child issues, business partners, coworkers, employers, and dealing with psychopathic individuals in your life.

American Psychological Association. Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. Biofeedback Certification Institute of America. New York Academy of Sciences.

The journal, Psychophysiology. The book, Expanding Dimensions of Consciousness. The journal, Headache. The journal, Biofeedback and Self-Regulation. The journal Psychiatry Digest. The book, The TMJ Book. The book, Dental Phobia. The network, CNN. Parade Magazine. The newspaper, Newsday. The Manhattan TV station, WCBS. The national news program, The CBS Evening News. The newspaper, The New York Post. The national TV program, The Phil Donohue Show. The magazine, The New Yorker. The magazine, Glamor. The magazine, Redbook. The magazine, Health. The magazine, Bottom Line Personal. Web MD. The website, Healthology. The magazine, Newsweek.

Ph.D. SUNY at Stony Brook, 1979. B.A., magna cum laude with Honors in Psychology, Illinois Wesleyan University, 1974.

Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, First, Second and Third Editions, 1997-2000. Appointed to the Training Faculty of the Biofeedback Certification Institute of America (BCIA), 1993. Senior Fellow BCIA. New York Academy of Sciences, 1987. Who’s Who in the East, 1983-present. Who’s Who in Frontier Science and Technology, First Edition. Citation Paper Author. Eleventh Annual Meeting of the Biofeedback Society of America, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 1980. Biofeedback Society of America Scholar, 1979. Co-author, USVA Grant, “Variables Affecting the Experience of Pain in Migraine,” USVA Medical Center, Northport, New York, 1977-1979. Biomedical Research Fellow, Department of Biomedical Engineering, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York, 1978. NIMH Predoctoral Fellowship, 1976. BA, Magna cum laude, with Honors in Psychology, 1974. Danforth Fellowship Nominee, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois, 1973.

Most of my clients are my private patients. However I have provided many seminars, lectures and workshops for: Columbia University. The Mount Sinai School of Medicine. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Museum of Natural History. The UJA Federation. The university, CW Post. The College of New Rochelle. Equinox Fitness. Travelers Insurance. AutoOne Insurance. Chubb Insurance. Metropolitan Life. Allstate Insurance. State Farm Insurance. Encompass Insurance. The public relations firm, Porter Novelli. The investment firm, Capital Re:. The Estee Lauder corporation. The law firm of Irwin Abrams. The National Insurance Crime Bureau. GEICO Insruance. Beth Israel Hospital.