Psychiatry & Psychology--General/paxil CR and insomnia

Dear doctor

Hope you are well.

I'm 25 year old male I've been on paxil CR 25mg which I take every morning for the past 1 and half years, after trying citalopram,fluvoxamine,sertraline,escitalopram. My panic disorder/anxiety is best kept at bay with paxil CR 25mg the only draw back is the chronic insomnia with this drug, I cannot sleep at all, when I do sleep my sleep is not consistent I play sport and train intensly I've consulted a sports doctor who is concerned about my lack of sleep and its effect on my performance. So far I've tried zopiclone,zolpidem and dormonoct these were recommended by my sports doctor due to them being short acting which eliminates the possibility of a hang over the next day. Dormonoct worked great initially at 1mg at night it now  no longer works.

Can you assist me? Like possibly give me an opinion with regards to counteracting this side effect of paxil CR taking into account that I train and play sport. I am sure their are drugs used for this type of insomnia which have an off label use

I look foward to hearing from you
Many thanks

Paxil CR usually causes somnolence.......strange it is causing insomnia....are you also taking other drugs??
Mirtazapine is a better drug in this case. But it is best to consult your treating psychiatrist before taking any medication.
Dr. Kalra

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Dr. Gurvinder Kalra, MD

I can answer questions related to Psychiatric illnesses, their management, relationship issues etc.

I have completed my Masters in Psychiatry. Currently I am working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at L.T.M.Medical College & L.T.M.General Hospital, Mumbai, India.

1. Kalra G, Bhugra D. Mutual learning and research messages: India, UK and Europe. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S56-63. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69211] 2. Kalra G, Gupta S, Bhugra D. Sexual Variations in India: A view from the west. Indian J Psychiatry 2010;52(7 Suppl 3):S264-8. [doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.69244]

MD Psychiatry, Diploma in Psychiatry, M.B.B.S

1. A.V. SHAH BEST RESEARCH PAPER AWARD, at the 38th Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatry Society- West Zone Branch, Nagpur, India, 13th Oct 2007. 2. BOMBAY PSYCHIATRIC SOCIETY SILVER JUBILEE NATIONAL AWARD, at the 60th Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Kolkata on 4th January, 2008. 3. 2nd prize in the free paper session for presenting the paper “Sexual Attitudes & Behaviours in Individuals above 50” at the 24th National Conference of Sexology held in Jaipur in September, 2008. 4. BHAGWAT NATIONAL AWARD, for Co author of “Study of Emotional Intelligence in Medical Postgraduates”. The Study was presented in the 61st Annual National Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society (ANCIPS), in Agra on 6th January, 2009. 5. 1st prize in the Dr.S.M.Lulla Post Graduate Quiz held in July 2006 at Department of Psychiatry, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India. 6. Won the Post Graduate Debate on “Involuntary Treatment in Psychiatric Patients is Unjust”, 2nd March 2008, T.N.M.C. Mumbai, India.