Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Psychology

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to view my question. I wanted to know if there is a term in psychology that defines a person who has a very difficult time balancing their personal life and business/professional life. Someone who has tunnel vision and can only focus on one thing at a time or one thing for an extended period of time.

I'm doing my own personal research out of curiosity and to learn about such behavior. I've noticed that there are people who allow themselves to be consumed with one thing, rather it's work, family, or friends and tend to become seemingly oblivious to other external relationships or events. I'm just trying to understand why some people have such a very difficult time with balance. Is there a term in psychology that describes such behavior or what are your thoughts, expertise, experience with what I've described?

Thank you so much once again for your time. I look forward to your input.

This limited forum is not to answer academic questions, but I will try to answer your heartfelt question.  This, tendency to live an, imbalanced life, you described is more a sociological or cultural problem than a specific psychological one.

American culture and modern culture in general are best characterized by the terms , specialization.  We must all specialize in order to survive and learn to deal with a world that is broken down into specialties.

I believe this encourages the behavior pattern that you are discussing.  People are no longer encouraged to be "well rounded," meaning they are adept at life and not just a particular thing that may help them earn a living.

So, people are pressured to learn to be very good at one thing, our culture is obsessed with work in general, and we are basically always surrounded by other people who are similar.  Thus there are way too many people who only know how to do and think about one thing and too few people able to enjoy life as well as work hard, able to see "the big picture" in life for their own sake and for the sake of others.

There is too much to encourage self-centeredness, narrowness of vision and preoccupation with earning money, so more people are well off and unhappy and do not seem to be able to do anything about it.

We need to learn to teach ourselves about how to be more broad minded, about our own lives and the vast and diverse world that we live in, because everything we do or do not do effects everyone else, whether we know if or not.

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.

I can answer questions about: Stress. Headaches. Stress-related Disorders. Anxiety/Panic Disorder. Depression. Psychopathology. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Personal Problem Solving. Life in General. Relationships: Love, Friendship, Business Partner, Coworker, Family,Child/Parent. What makes us tick. The use of psycho-pharmacological agents in combination with psychological treatment. How to deal with evil people in your life. How to improve your outlook under duress. How to control stress. How to control mood. How to control headaches. I cannot answer: Questions about Eating Disorders. Questions about computers.

30 years in private practice as a psychologist in Manhattan. Dealing with people from almost every conceivable ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, and as many character types as exist in this country. Dealing with patients from 8 years old to 90 years old. Pioneer in biofeedback and the treatment of stress-related disorders. Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine since 1982. Treatment of stress-related, anxiety and depressive disorders with biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy. Developed personal problem solving, an extremely precise form of psychotherapy. Relationship therapy for couples, families, parent/child issues, business partners, coworkers, employers, and dealing with psychopathic individuals in your life.

American Psychological Association. Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. Biofeedback Certification Institute of America. New York Academy of Sciences.

The journal, Psychophysiology. The book, Expanding Dimensions of Consciousness. The journal, Headache. The journal, Biofeedback and Self-Regulation. The journal Psychiatry Digest. The book, The TMJ Book. The book, Dental Phobia. The network, CNN. Parade Magazine. The newspaper, Newsday. The Manhattan TV station, WCBS. The national news program, The CBS Evening News. The newspaper, The New York Post. The national TV program, The Phil Donohue Show. The magazine, The New Yorker. The magazine, Glamor. The magazine, Redbook. The magazine, Health. The magazine, Bottom Line Personal. Web MD. The website, Healthology. The magazine, Newsweek.

Ph.D. SUNY at Stony Brook, 1979. B.A., magna cum laude with Honors in Psychology, Illinois Wesleyan University, 1974.

Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, First, Second and Third Editions, 1997-2000. Appointed to the Training Faculty of the Biofeedback Certification Institute of America (BCIA), 1993. Senior Fellow BCIA. New York Academy of Sciences, 1987. Who’s Who in the East, 1983-present. Who’s Who in Frontier Science and Technology, First Edition. Citation Paper Author. Eleventh Annual Meeting of the Biofeedback Society of America, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 1980. Biofeedback Society of America Scholar, 1979. Co-author, USVA Grant, “Variables Affecting the Experience of Pain in Migraine,” USVA Medical Center, Northport, New York, 1977-1979. Biomedical Research Fellow, Department of Biomedical Engineering, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York, 1978. NIMH Predoctoral Fellowship, 1976. BA, Magna cum laude, with Honors in Psychology, 1974. Danforth Fellowship Nominee, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois, 1973.

Most of my clients are my private patients. However I have provided many seminars, lectures and workshops for: Columbia University. The Mount Sinai School of Medicine. The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Museum of Natural History. The UJA Federation. The university, CW Post. The College of New Rochelle. Equinox Fitness. Travelers Insurance. AutoOne Insurance. Chubb Insurance. Metropolitan Life. Allstate Insurance. State Farm Insurance. Encompass Insurance. The public relations firm, Porter Novelli. The investment firm, Capital Re:. The Estee Lauder corporation. The law firm of Irwin Abrams. The National Insurance Crime Bureau. GEICO Insruance. Beth Israel Hospital.