Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Self sabotager?

Question
Well, this question will be very vague.
More or less the quick run down:
I suffer from depression non stop, and it seems to be uncontrollable and rapidly growing.
Although the depression is most certainly the result of financial difficulties, a lot of it it most definitely self caused, and I think that I can see this which in turn makes me more depressed due to my inability to control myself.
I am an over indulger, risky behavior participant, selfish individual. I make large mistakes on a daily basis I think maybe to on a subconscious level push myself deeper into depression.
I have a slough of thoughts and issues and I need help.
I am a college student, living on my own, having to take loans out every month to pay only the things I have to, my debt is piling up and I do not have insurance, for a number of reasons.

I need to get help.
I can't afford it, and its killing me to know that I need to talk to someone, and I need help fixing this. and I just don't know what to do.
Please tell me there is something out there for me.
My school has a SAP (student assistance program) which allowed 3 free visits to a therapist.. problem is my therapist used those three sessions "getting to know" me.. and then began charging me .. and I couldn't afford to see her.
I feel as though I need a full diagnosis.. a psychologist not a therapist. I need a professional that can really help me.

My question is.. what is a person supposed to do? when they have nobody .. and no money.. and they really can't continue on like this?
Checking myself into a hospital.. is an idea I've thrown around.. but with the career I'm trying to get into.. I can't have been checked into a hospital for reasons like this.
And I feel as though those are temporary treatment for an otherwise cancerous issue going on in my mind.

Answer
Marley

Your instinct is correct.

You need a thorough psychiatric evaluation and submitting for a voluntary hospitalization is the best way to obtain that.

I am fairly certain that there are employment laws against mental health diagnosis discrimination, plus, if you are the person who describe you are already leaving a wake of questionable behavior behind you that needs to be stopped.  Better you should have in record that you took the steps you needed to help yourself than that you continue down a self-destructive path.

Your state should also have a mental health department that can advise you on how to receive free or low cost therapy or perhaps you can apply to Medicaid which will reimburse for psychotherapy.

Do what you can to help yourself.

Best,

Dr. Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.