Psychiatry & Psychology--General/Therapist-Client Relationship

I am considering psychotherapy to deal with some personal issues. My question is what is the role of the therapist in the therapist-client relationship. Is the therapist just there to listen or also to provide feedback? Are they supposed to give advice or they just there to help you analyze things and you decide what to do based on their analysis?

Hi, Peter, thats a good question. The answer is that it depends on a lot of factors. One of the most important of those factors is what you want to accomplish as a result of therapy. The clearer you can be about what you want, the easier it is for the therapist to give you what you want. Also, sometime those needs change, so the more easily you can articulate what you want 'right now', the easier it is for the therapist to meet those needs. Not every therapist will be a 'mind reader', and automatically know what it is you want, so articulating those needs is very helpful.

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Bruce Borkosky, Psy.D.

any related to psychology, especially related to forensic psychology

15 years as a licensed psychologist, 15 years in private practice. My practice began primarily doing individual and group psychotherapy, is now devoted to assessments, but I occasionally do take on clients in therapy.

American Psychological Association

B.A. psychology, B.A., music, Ohio Wesleyan U., 1978 MCS, computer science, University of Dayton, 1984 MA, psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1991 Psy.D., psychology, Miami Inst. of Psychology, 1993 post doctoral training in Neuropsychology, Fielding Institute, 1995-1997