Psychiatry & Psychology--General/child deliberately peeing on floor near toilet

Question
My son is a control freak.  It doesn't manifest enough to disrupt our household daily but when it does, it's so awful. He will punish you so harshly for trying to get him to do even a simple thing he doesn't want to do. I can let it slide on some occasions but if it's something important, I cannot. The problem is things like homework or peeing, he can control this.  He recently refused to pee at a friend's house. Ultimately he peed in her bath and laughed. She is a nice person and she was happy he started peeing again. The problem is she opened a door. That week he started to pee on the floor next to the toilet, not entirely, but he'd squirt and smirk. I'd make him clean it, which he did, and he didn't care. He actually likes cleaning it. I tried withholding things he likes, no effect. His response is NOT to pee. My mother said let him not pee but the problem is when his bladder is full, he can't concentrate on work or do much of anything. Also I don't like him getting used to this. He did alot of wittholding in the past to control us and it was very stressful.  If you had a child withholding because you told them they simply cannot pee on the floor, would you let them witthold and wait it out or do you have another idea? Thanks.

Answer
Sharon,

Thank you for your question about, children and control.

I am a psychologist and not a urologist, but I am pretty sure that holding urine can lead to bladder infections, which are not always serious but can be.

If your son is fixed on holding urine as a method of expressing his feelings, I think that you should speak to his pediatrician about this and explore the possibility of getting professional help to change this habit and to help your son find other ways of feeling in control.

It is important for children to feel in control because so much of their existence is out of their control and yet as they get older they feel the pressure from parents and school that they should exert a lot of control over things that seem more important to their parents and teachers than they seem to them, while they still feel they have no control over the things that may be more important to them personally.

Best,

Dr. Andrew Elmore

Psychiatry & Psychology--General

Andrew M. Elmore, Ph.D.